Tuesday, August 4, 2009

PAY IT FORWARD

Like some other kids, 12-year-old Trevor McKinney believed in the goodness of human nature. Like many other kids, he was determined to change the world for the better. Unlike most other kids, he succeeded.




Quote
Jerry: You ever been on the street?
Arley: My mom took us pretty close.
Jerry: Well, you can't know. Not until you look at a dumpster. But when you climb into that thing for the first time and you pull those newspapers over you, that's when you know you've messed your life up. Somebody comes along like your son, and gives me a leg up, I'll take it. Even from a kid, I'll take it.

Pay It Forward - WIKI
If the person thanks you and wants to "repay" you (that is, pay it "back"), let them know that what you'd really like is for them to pay it "forward" ...

All right. I know, this is an old movie but allow me to blog on it for a bit. I don't know how I could have put off watching this movie for so long. Maybe it was because I was waiting for the family to sit together for it and when that didn't happen it got shelved. Nevertheless, this is a heart warming and thought provoking movie that everyone, especially teens, should watch. It's like everyone thinks that the world (read life) sucks but what did you ever do to try to make it better. I thought bits of the movie were a tad unrealistic and the ending was a bit upsetting but overall, it was an excellent movie. A sentimental gem amidst the Hollywood staple of crash, boom bang movies.

Actually, the idea of paying "forward" isn't new. It goes way back to Benjamin Franklin (you know the scientist who purportedly flew a kite in the thunderstorm? Check your Science book) when he wrote in a letter to his friend who borrowed from him.

"I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

No comments:

Post a Comment